Saturday, April 3, 2010

A Brief Update/In Defense of Crafts


Not as much packing has gotten done as one might like at my mum and dad's house but I set about using my mother's tiny craft drill to make peg doll Hannah and peg doll David. Some people I really respect in the wedding bloggy universe are pretty anti craft/anti DIY. If you are not a DIY person then getting really really into making peg people in the months leading up to your wedding seems like a really bad idea. If you are, in general, a super insane crafty maniac (I made tulle flower hairclips and glued feathers onto bobby-pins and make pushpins and magnets and paper cranes like no one's business) then it makes sense to craft like usual for your wedding. Which is a long winded explanation of why I am making these. Also because I don't have an extra $135 for the real thing.

I'm not posting a how-to because they aren't my idea and you can kind of figure it out if you need to. I'm kind of figuring it out as I go. When they're though I'll post pictures. The littlest sister found a three dollar frame and an estate sale and is painting it white for a chalkboard. We haven't yet done the chalkboard painting. We'll see how that goes.

3 comments:

  1. they look awesome already.

    what kind of blogs did you find that dis diy?! dummies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving that frame! We're on the hunt for a similar one so I've got to start scouring antique stores soon. One piece of advice about the chalkboard in case you haven't done a test run yet: use the chalkboard paint, not the spray paint. We tried both and the results with the actual paint were much better than the spray. The spray is cheaper so I was hoping it would work, but ours didn't hold the chalk very well and was hard to fully erase. The paint worked much better for some reason. Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

    ReplyDelete