Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Turkey


Thanksgiving. We had some difficulties with David's family immediately before the wedding. One of David's family members tried to get him to nix the idea of marrying me and when that didn't work as well as she might have hoped, shit went down. A lot of it. There were tears and feelings were hurt. I tried to be cool about it and rise above it all but when you arrive at your bridal shower with a puffy, red, streaky face then you have a problem. We got married on a Saturday and that Thursday we packed up and moved to North Carolina, I've seen David's entire family (sisters, brothers, in-laws, nieces and nephews and parents) once since we got married which was nice (seeing them, not the only once aspect). Now we're trying to negotiate our first major holiday together. Which set of parents do we spend the day with? When do you see the second set of parents? How does one you tell your mother that you aren't spending Christmas with her? (luckily that someone is not me) How do you not hurt more feelings? This is difficult even with perfect relationships (as if those exist). My oldest and best friend (who basically could not like her in laws more and who's husband lurves her parents) think it's a suckfest. Trying to do it when your sister in law would probably like to devour your face and serve you up instead of a turkey? Reaaaaaally a suckfest.

At least any holidays not spent with my sweet and lovin' family will be spent with David's (now my) nephew, Ian, who has yummy cheeks for biting and cute tiny toes even if his mom is a mega b-word. The face he is making is the face my brain makes when I contemplate Thanksgiving.

Picture of Ian at our wedding, taken by Shaun Yasaki.

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain, sista. We dealt with a similar situation where his brother tried to talk him out of marrying me the night before our wedding. And it's me that would like to devour my brother-in-laws face and serve him up instead of the turkey. Now we're faced with holidays and it's definitely, definitely a suckfest. But either way, the two of us will be together, sucky family or no. Hope everything works out okay for you guys regardless of nasty sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my, this is tough. there is no easy way to handle this, but at least you know it's not. i like miss fp's advice - at least you two will be together, sucky family or no. you're family now too and that's got to count for something.

    ReplyDelete