Friday, January 30, 2009

Ikat Eye Candy

I'm a little behind in posting on one of last year's biggest trends, but I love ikat too much to ignore. The bright colors, the unusual eye-catching patterns, the organic quality...I adore it. I may be partial, having studied Southeastern Asian textiles, but regardless, it's cool to see cultural objects translated and adapted to western use. 


I don't always read InStyle, but I happened to see this Madeline Weinrib clutch in a spring issue last year and fell in love. I covet this. The fabric is simply stunning and it is a very wearable representation of the trend if you don't favor entire dresses or coats of this type of pattern, which at times can be overkill. It's just the perfect accent.

Unfortunately the $450 price tag makes it completely out of reach for me so my quest is to find affordable ikat fabric and attempt to make one myself.

MEC

No comments:

Post a Comment