Thursday, May 26, 2011

Eight Year Old Girls



This time last year I had no nieces, no nephews. Now I have five nephews and three nieces. The war on birthdays is never over. Last year when I was just the uncle's girlfriend I got the two girls who turned 7 craft kits. This year I am employed and have no time and little money and one of the nieces birthdays is upon me and she's turning 8. Which seems a hard year. Too old for very little girl things but definitely not old enough for big girl things. There is also the desire to be the fun aunt and give something fantastic and the very real desire to not buy anything plastic that will lodge in anyone's septum, or anything that will promote crack addiction, anorexia or slaggishness when she's fifteen. So none of those dolls with whore make-up and big heads. So what to get. I want to get books. So far I've given four nephews and another niece books this year. Are eight year olds too big for Judy Moody and Junie B. Jones? Are they old enough for Constance Hopkins?



So far I'm thinking Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (because, ya know, she's eight) or book plates (for all the books her groovy Aunt Hannah will be getting her for the next fifteen years) or Tear Up This Book. Any brilliant ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment