Monday, May 11, 2009

Weekend, Mother's Day Recap


I hope you all had a lovely weekend and Mother's Day. New York is finally beginning to catch on to the fact that it's actually spring and I was able to spend a few hours at the driving range on Saturday. I'm thinking of finally breaking down and buying golf clubs and trying to learn my way around the green. Saturday night we had family over and my mother a huge tray of homemade lasagna out of the freezer and reheated it. It was a happy, comfortable evening. 

Sunday, Mother's Day, was bittersweet in my house. My family is still coping with my grandmother's death last fall and my mother was especially down about the whole Mother's Day idea. After mass we had a lovely breakfast of oatmeal pancakes and then my mother, my sister, and I went to the cemetery and planted impatients and geraniums around my grandparents' grave. A bit morbid, I suppose, but oddly comforting in a strange sort of way. The sun was shining and it was breezy and cool and the three of us were digging in the dirt, talking and laughing. My mother insisted that she didn't want anything but I'm getting her three skanes of fibers from Purl Soho so she can make the checkerboard scarf that I'm currently working on. Work prevented me from getting there last week so she gets a belated Mother's Day pressie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment